Monday 10 November 2008

KILL YOUR BLOG!


As you know, loyal readers, I'm a bit ambivalent about my blog at the moment.  Other things seem to be taking a higher priority in my life, such as Flickr, Facebook and Twitter.  So, Imagine my HORROR and surprise when I picked up a copy of Wired Magazing (Vogue for Nerds) and their cover story screamed KILL YOUR BLOG!  The highlights are:

"Thinking about launching your own blog? Here's some friendly advice: Don't. And if you've already got one, pull the plug.  Writing a weblog today isn't the bright idea it was four years ago. The blogosphere, once a freshwater oasis of folksy self-expression and clever thought, has been flooded by a tsunami of paid bilge. Cut-rate journalists and underground marketing campaigns now drown out the authentic voices of amateur wordsmiths. It's almost impossible to get noticed, except by hecklers. And why bother? The time it takes to craft sharp, witty blog prose is better spent expressing yourself on Flickr, Facebook, or Twitter."

Interesting.  I am wondering what to do with my blog, and I have to say I enjoy the social interaction of Flickr, Facebook and Twitter much more.  Writing blog posts sometimes feels like yodeling into a canyon.

So... should the blog be nurtured into a thriving forest of words, or do I take the Scorched Earth approach?  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh so blogging has become nothing more than something for the masses and is so passe? I must admit I do struggle at the lack of interaction. You know people must read it cos of the counter but it's only a few select (in my case you and Rich) people that actually comment on it. If it's no longer fun then kill it! At the moment for me it's therapy!! I'm probably boring people in the process though...

Anonymous said...

And if you do kill it...do it in style!