Wednesday 23 January 2008

D'OH! RESULTS ARE IN

Faithful readers will remember my attempt to rent and download the Simpsons Movie from the iTunes Store.  How did it go?  Thanks for asking.  It actually turned into a beautiful story of good customer service.

First, the science part.  Ready?  Good.  

I hadn't realised that transferring the movie from my iMac to my iPhone would automatically remove it from the iMac iTunes library.  Apparently you can only have one physically downloaded copy at any time.  I didn't watch it on my iPhone, and expected it to sync back to my iMac when I connected them up.  No joy.  It sat there, on my iPhone, staring blankly at me.  So I did the stupid thing and pressed 'delete'.  D'oh indeed.  Now I had no physically downloaded copies at all.  My fault for not reading the instructions.

I emailed iTunes customer services to point out that they might want to be a bit clearer with their DRM management policies.  They replied with this:

"I have reversed the charge for this rental which I understand was deleted.  You will see a store credit of $3.99 on your account.  In addition to the refund, I have also issued three song credits to your account.  Please continue to use the iTunes store.  We thank you for being part of the iTunes family and hope you have a great day"

How's that for bollock tighteningly good customer service!  I love iTunes.  I love Apple.  God Bless America.



No comments: