Wednesday 5 March 2008

RUB SOME JARGON ON YOUR FACE



I don't watch a lot of TV so I'm pretty immune to advertising, but tonight I heard something which made me wonder if I had suddenly tuned into ITV Russia. Step forward L'Oreal DermaGenesis! SkinBirth? SurfaceGrowth? Doesn't sound so catchy does it. The bit that caught my ear was the claim that L'Oreal DermaGenesis contains "Pro-Xylane, a new generation, green science molecule and Hyaluronic Acid"

WHAT THE FUCK??

The benefits of Pro-Xylane and Hyaluronic Acid are "dewy, plumped up, younger looking skin". Dewy?? There's also this amazing word "Tauten" which is obviously legally different to "tighten" which would be a totally different claim. I don't know about you, but I would love someone to compliment me on my taut, dewy skin.

So, I bit and went onto their website, hungry for more information. Heading straight for the FAQ I found out about their key ingredients.




and?  What the hell does that tell me?  Ok how about the other one....

Right.  A green science molecule.  Of course.

I'll say it here now.  Don't waste your money on this garbage.  As someone who has spent LOADS of money on wrinkle creams, moisturisers and the like I can honestly say nothing delivers what it promises.  Nothing.  Whether it's £100 or £10, your skin may look a bit shinier and a bit more glowy but it also does that with a £1.50 pot of Nivea.  

Advertising like this makes me so angry!  Throwing in a few words of jargon gives the illusion of science where none exists.  Failing to then back it up with any useful information just compounds the fact that this is snake oil with pretty packaging.  Want to get rid of your wrinkles?  Have a face lift.  Scared of surgery?  Have botox.  Neither of the above?  Learn to live with them.

No comments: