Saturday 19 July 2008

CHEAP AS MICROCHIPS

I do miss Doctor Who. Saturday nights aren't the same without it. And I miss the Apprentice. In fact there's not much on tv at all that I watch right now. Occasionally I'll watch Big Brother if I'm having a bad day, but I always have that post-BB shame feeling like I've sat and laughed at an old lady being taunted in the street by a gang of hoodies. Anyway,back to the point. The BBC has been negotiating its new contract with David Tenant for Who5 and it has emerged that he has been offered £1.5m. My first thought was bloody hell he is expensive! Then I noticed that it was £1.5m for the whole series, not per episode. What an effing liberty, as Donna would say. Now I know the BBC is publicly funded blah blah guardian article, but Doctor Who is consistently one of the most watched programmes on TV. The series finale was the highest rated programme of the week - a first in 45 years of Dr Who. The series is sold to networks around the world, DVD boxsets cost upwards of £50 each, and if you can't buy a miniature figure of even the most minor characters then you are not looking hard enough. It's a total cash space cow. So on this occasion, I think the BBC can legitimately go above and beyond the market rate and pay Mr T a world class salary. Remember when the CastofFriends (TM) used to command $1m each per episode? Get him in that ballpark and then we're talking. Come on Auntie, start respecting your flahship show, otherwise Ten leaves, and the only person you'll be able to afford for Who 11 is Jeremy Edwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or that knobend Nesbit guy from the yellowpages commercials. I will blow up bbc myself if that happens. Go Team Tennant!!!