Friday 11 July 2008

iPWNED

Two words to describe Apple today, which I never thought I would use. Epic Fail. It hurts me to say so, but really it has been an exercise in 'how not to do business' not just here in the UK but all over the world. Epic Fail of Global Impact. Ooh, sour taste there. So what happened? Well, in mho, Apple set themselves up to deliver a totally integrated experience centred around the iPhone 3G which ended up falling over at every hurdle. I really hope someone does a more informed and critical analysis because I would love to find out what really happened.

The amazing MobileMe was launched yesterday and ended up being online for about 3 minutes in the last 24 hours. Fail. iTunes 7.7 was released, which was great, but then using it to activate new iPhones overloaded the system in every country around the world. Fail. The iPhone went on sale at 8:02 in the UK and by lunchtime, roughly 3 people had working phones. Fail. As of this evening, customers have paid for their phones and had to wait for hours for shops to get them working, only to be told 'sorry can't do any more today'. Fail. Absolute disasters every step of the way.


Now I'm not just saying all this to be controversial or get peoples' backs up, I just genuinely feel really shocked and disappointed that a company so obsessed with the customer experience could fall at every hurdle possible, and still not have it fixed at the close of business. If Steve Jobs doesnt order a root and branch investigation then the company could be in choppy waters with shareholders. It's really not good to launch the biggest product of the year and generate such stress and anger among customers.


Me, I'm happy with my new iPhone even though iTunes killed it dead for a while this afternoon. That was a stressful couple of hours! Miraculously, it was resurrected and is now happily doing its thing as it should. I hope we have long happy lives together :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey you people you can hate on apple all you want and microsoft the biggest thief in the world can laugh, but none of the other phones can hold a candle to the i phones, I have experience most of them from t-mobile, to verizon, with their little pocket browsers and small screen yuck. the little keyboard, etc. the iphone is intuitive, easy to navigate, and delivers a full multi-midia experience. I bought one of the original from a friend, at a more than reasonable price. The applications in the 2.0 update are awesom, and if you jail break you get more. and if you unlock, well, what else can I say. Microsoft can be so arrogant with its stupid vista with all the over aggresive security preventing you from accessing data and websites is ridiculous, I wish I could afford a mac, someday!!!