Friday 9 May 2008

BLAME IT ON THE BOGIE MAN

I'm still fascinated by the Fritzl case in Austria.  In particular, I can't get enough shoddy media reporting.  Take the headline in The Sun this morning:

Now, who am I to say what Hitler did or didn't do.  But let's be clear.  This story is based on the fact that Hitler visited Fritzl's hometown once.  When Fritzl was two years old!!!  They describe him as 'almost three' ie much more suggestible.  Somehow The Sun quotes him in first person, saying "I grew up in Nazi times and that meant the need to be controlled and respect of authority...I suppose I took on some of these old values".  Forgive me, but those seem more like the values of an adult baby fetishist, or someone likely to wear a PVC hood and call his partner 'mistress'.  Hardly Nazi ideals, and far from any connection that could blame his actions on Hitler.  Honestly, why can't the media just accept that this man did the crime and is now to be punished for it.  The case is bad enough without linking him to any old evil dictator.  

No comments: