Saturday 16 August 2008

BIRTHDAY, CELEBRATE, BE SO NICE


DaysToAmaze.Com has a list of unforgettable birthday gifts for someone turning 50 that include feeding Lemurs, a session of hypnotherapy or a sterling silver Love Heart. Somehow I doubt whether a certain 50 year old is today unwrapping any of those experiences. Yes ladies and gents, Lady Madonna turns 50 today so with a big party hooter and a handful of jabby plastic confetti let's celebrate this momentus day.

Love or hate sentences that start with love or hate, nobody can deny Madonna's influence on the last couple of pop culture decades. Sadly, that influence seems to have waned in recent years and she is starting to become a bit of a curiosity rather than a musician. 80s album sales of 24 million now hover round the 1 million mark, which in todays market is ok but nothing to base a legacy on. However, it's easy to start shooting in her particular barrel. Let's not forget that fact that the woman has sold a hundred million more albums than I ever will, and inspired countless people around the world. Like me. I can honestly say Madonna changed my life (and not in a Jerry Springer way) when at the age of 1 I hopped on a plane from Aberdeen to London and saw the Blond Ambition Tour at Wembley Stadium. It was my first ever visit to London and within a year I had moved there for good. I have a nagging feeling that without Blond Ambition I might still be living in Scotland right now.

So let's raise a glass of Kaballah water and toast a true legend. Now, Madonna, you better live up to that status next weekend in Cardiff. Happy Birthday Madge!

1 comment:

cchristo said...

lol You said "hooter".