Sunday 1 June 2008

CELEBRITY FAT-WAH!


I have had enough.  I have had it up to *here*.  I am totally fucking sick of celebrities getting publicity and making money out of "miraculous weight loss" stories which turn out to be absolute bollocks.  There is enough misery and suffering in the world without some Z lister making people feel even worse about themselves by promoting unrealistic expectations.  If it's not Sean Macguire and his "eat 7 times a day and spend 4 hours in the gym" Spartan-esque body, or Natalie Cassidy and her "no carbs after 3am and 6 workouts per day" headline grabbing bodies, it's good old Fern Britton.  Once a role model for the 'fuller-figured' woman, Fern has been telling any magazine who listened about how she has lost 5 stone in 2 years by walking the dog, eating plenty of porridge and cycling lot.  Great!  It seems like good advice to me.  Something anyone can do.

Except it's a lie.  It turns out Fern had a gastric band fitted 2 years ago.  Put one in me and I'd lose 5 stone.  Bloody hell, stick one in my cat and without any porridge at all he'd be a size zero in no time.  

I couldn't care less about Fern's weight-loss surgery.  What does royally piss me off is that she has filled pages and pages of magazine space lying to people.  Anyone who has been eating porridge and cycling, comparing their weight loss to hers, wondering why Fern has done so well and they haven't.... I honestly think they should make their feelings known to her.  It's irresponsible, inaccurate and downright dangerous for someone in Fern's position, with her influence, to mislead people like this.  Yes, the magazines are to blame too but what the hell, just don't buy them.  All they want to do is sell more copies and they don't care what shit they print to do so.  It's people like Fern Britton who should be apologising to the nation and I hope she does so soon.

No comments: