Wednesday 16 April 2008

WILL I EVER DANCE AGAIN?

My quest for health and fitness came to an abrupt halt this evening after developing what I have self-diagnosed as a nasty case of shin-splints.  My new gym workout involves a daily run, whereas it used to be every couple of days.  I'm not a natural runner, but I do (eventually) enjoy it especially when it's over.  Running 5 times a week for the last couple of weeks has made me feel fitter, but I've noticed that my legs have been aching in recent days.  This evening, I did 2km on the treadmill and had to stop, as my shin muscles were on fire!  I limped off, and went to do some of my other floor exercises but it was like someone had drained all the power from my legs.  Remember getting a dead arm as a child? The dull pain that is so intense you start laughing but pretty soon you want to cry?  That was me in the gym.  Hobbling around, laughing out loud and trying not to sob.  I'm sure people must have thought I was mad.  I carried on for another 10 minutes (why??) and then had to give up and go for an early shower.  It was fine when I stood still, but as soon as I tried to put any weight on my toes I thought my legs would buckle.  Being a man, I'm taking it all very well and not even remotely thinking about having to end up in a wheelchair etc. 

Having read a few helpful websites, I'm going to lay off running for a few days and see what happens.  I know I run weird anyway (think a man doing an impression of a scared girl), but I think it's probably not helpful if I try to run through the pain on this occasion.  It's strange that now I might have to not do it tomorrow, I'm already missing it!!  I'll keep you updated on ShinGate.

No comments: